Monday, March 19, 2012

The Gift of Obedience

One summer afternoon in 2008, I was coming home from a doctor's appointment, and I was exhausted. I had used all of my strength to get to the appointment and I was on empty. I was focused on getting home so I could get in bed and rest...I just wanted to be one with my bed! Finally, I was almost there. I was at the intersection in front of my neighborhood waiting for the light to turn green so I could make a left hand turn into my neighborhood. I was so happy my journey was almost done and my home and bed were not far away! As I waited impatiently for the light to turn green, I began to notice cars swirving in order to miss an object in the intersection. As I looked closer, I realized the object was a log! (I assumed it must have fallen from the back of a truck!) Everyone was navigating treacherously around it but no one stopped to move the log out of the intersection. I couldn't believe what I was seeing! No one cared about the danger this log posed. All I could think about was the fact that this log could cause a wreck and someone might really get hurt!! I said out loud, "Why doesn't someone DO something....and roll that log out of the way."

Then, there was a gentle prompting in my heart. "Ronda, why don't you move the log out of the road?" I was ready with my response... "I am really sick and so weak. I CAN'T move THAT log! I have a valid reason for not acting." Satisfied with my reasoning...the light turned green, and I made my left hand turn (navigating around the log)through the intersection and into my neighborhood. I put my sights on my home and getting into bed! I thought I was home free, but the prompting in my heart was only stronger..."Why don't you move that log?" Then I thought..."Is this prompting from God...really??" "God, do you want me to move that log out of the road....me??" I tried to ignore it again, but I knew in my heart that to go home and not move the log would be disobedience. I must admit I almost kept driving to my goal...home...but the thought came..."If I quench God's prompting this time...it will be so much easier to not listen the next time. Do I want to listen and obey or do I want to do life my way?" My way usually gets me into trouble. I knew I needed to turn my car around and go back to move the log. Finally, I turned my car around...I wish I could report that I happily turned my car around, but I was angry. I REALLY didn't want to go. Every step to the dr's office and back home was such an effort...how in the world was I going to move a log out of the road??!!!

I headed back to the intersection and manuvered my car until I was once again sitting in the left hand turn lane at the intersection. Cars were still swirving around the log...thankfully the traffic was light and no one had been hurt. This time, I turned on my hazard lights and put the car in park. As the traffic stopped for the red light, I walked into the intersection, bent down and began rolling the log out of the intersection into the grassy median. As it rolled, I began to laugh..what a sight I must have been! Hopefully, it was a pleasing sight of obedience to God. Once the log was secure, I went back to my car and made that left hand turn, for the second time, into my neighborhood.

I drove home with a smile on my face and a new energy. I listened....and obeyed. I acted in a situation and potentially prevented an accident. I may have helped someone else, but I also helped myself. I felt like I had re-entered the land of the living. Being so ill, I had began to feel like a bystandard watching as life happened around me. I felt powerless to change my situation or anything happening around me...much like a victim. That day I realized, I am ill and weak and cannot do everything I desire but I am not powerless...nor am I a victim. Although my steps may not be many, if I am listening and obeying the One who is making my path straight, my steps can make a difference for me and for others.

This was a turning point for me...the day I made a decision to begin listening and obeying...even if it seems crazy...or I don't feel like it. There have been so many voices and opinions along the way about how to treat lyme or my other diagnosis. At times, it has been incredibly overwhelming and confusing. Who do I listen to? What do I do? This lesson in listening and obeying has been crucial for me. As I have listened (to His promptings)and obeyed, God has again, and again been so faithful to show me the path of healing through specific doctors, exercise, diet, supplements, medications, and lifestyle. Obedience has been a healing road for me from the inside out...truly a gift!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ronda,
Thank you for sharing your journey. I was diagnosed with Lyme disease four months ago, but have probably had it for two or three years. Reading your blog today has been so encouraging, especially as my body refuses to work the way I want it to. God has been convicting my heart today on the very topic of obedience.
In His Loving Arms,
Bethany