Saturday, June 7, 2008

Going Green

I have been home a little over two weeks, and I have made some progress but it has been painfully slow in my book. Last weekend, in my desperation to figure out why I relapsed so badly, I started reading a book Dr. Fong recommended to me called The ph Miracle. The book discusses the benefit of keeping the ph in our body more alkaline and how acidity stresses the body and immune system. My gastrointestinal tract is so acidic and uncomfortable that I became very interested in their thoughts about how to make the body more alkaline. In addition, the program is suggested in order to help detox the body of toxins. Since my lymph nodes hurt so badly and I know I am still fighting a systemic candida infection...it caught my attention. Could it help me get rid of my lymph node pain and flu-like symptoms?


The first step of the program is a green veggie juice fast for three to ten days in order to raise the body's ph. Right then and there I thought...I can't even stand the smell of carrot juice. How could I survive on the juice of green vegt??!! Again, let me emphasize the word desperate. At this point, I will do anything to feel better. I decided I would go on a vegt. frenzy the very next day. However, the next day I was so weak I could hardly get dressed. I knew grocery shopping for this quantity of green veggies was out of the question. Then, a dear friend offered to do my shopping and deliver the groceries (thank Deb!). Within hours, the veggies where in the house and the vegt. fast was on. It was worth a shot! My little boy opened the refrigerator and said, "Mommy, our refrigerator is all green!" Green veggies were everywhere!



For four days I juiced more green and yellow vegt. than I have probably eaten in my entire life. I only saw small improvements at first (such as less acid in my stomach). Over the last five days, I have been adding more things back to my diet and gradually feeling less and less lymph node pain. I am continuing the juice as well as eating meals, and believe it or not, I am beginning to like the juice!



While I have been juicing, I have also been reading more and more about the immune system and liver. I had hepatitis C for seven years (I went through interferon treatment in 2005, and no longer have a viral load), and at the clinic, they told me on several occasions, "your liver is very sensitive." That was part of the explanation for my body being "sensitive" to many of the medications and supplements. In my reading, I am learning that there are specific enzymes the liver uses to breakdown toxins in order for them to be taken out of the body. There are times, due to prolonged sickness, stress, ect. the body may not produce enough of these enzymes to break down toxins. Consequently, the toxins are reabsorbed into joints and tissues and causes fatigue, fibromyalgia and pain as well as a host of other symptoms. This caught my attention! Could this be part of my problem? Based on blood work and my biopsy report, my liver is not "damaged." However, it certainly has been through the wringer!

Last week, as I was shopping at Whole Foods for another load of green vegt., I happened to go down the book aisle. I noticed a book titled DETOX in bold, huge letters. It caught my attention, but I kept walking and thought to myself. "I don't look at random books in grocery stores for advice"....but couldn't get it out of my mind. I really felt like God was saying, "Go back and look at that book!" I turned the cart around and went against my "cardinal rule." I picked up the book, and opened it to a random page. The subtitle of the paragraph on the page was, "Do you have a sluggish liver?" I almost laughed out loud! I replied....evidently! The book gave details about the specific enzymes the liver uses to break down toxins and suggested eating specific vegetables in order to replenish these enzymes. I took inventory of my cart and went back to the produce section for the ones I was missing. Not only did I buy more vegetables, I bought the book too! How could I forget the verse Matt 6:26 that says God will take take care of us like He feeds the birds? I guess that includes helping me with my grocery list!

In addition to the "green" diet, I have continued lymphatic drainage, colonics and I started acupuncture this week. It was pretty crazy having little needles sticking out everywhere but it wasn't bad. By the way, the acupuncture doctor said, "You are a complicated case, and I think one of your root issues is your liver." Hum....haven't I heard that somewhere before?

Somehow I knew arriving home was only a new beginning toward recovery, I think my instincts were right. There is much to learn, and much to heal.

I must go...time for another green drink!

Love to all,
Ronda

3 comments:

Twice Blessed said...

Ronda,
Welcome back home. Sorry I haven't been a good neighbor or friend to you since you've been home. My mom has been in the hospital and just got resleased today. I'm taking T&R and we're going for a quick visit tomorrow through Friday. I'd love to help you out when I get back if you need any more green grocery runs. Do you love the accupunture? I'm a firm beleiver in it. Feels weird and good at the same time. Pop on over to my blog for the latest on T&R..looks like we have a longgggggggggg summer ahead of us. Take care of yourself.

Happy Mommy said...

Ronda, I am Twice Blessed niece, we have met on several occasions and your boy and my boys have really enjoyed playing together....
I have been praying for you, and will continue to! Drinking green veggies, way to go, healing is not always easy is it.

Anonymous said...

Could you please contact me. I am 21, and have been sick all of my life. I was diagnosed in 2006 and have been very ill. I am seeing a doctor in Reno and she is wanting me to live there during treatment. I noticed you stayed there also. I wanted to ask where you staying and everything. We are looking, but have found nothing yet. You can e-mail me at noellie87@yahoo.com

Thanks.
Noelle Sweeney