Saturday, February 13, 2010

Cutting out spare parts

Several months ago, my primary care physician became concerned about the chronic neutropenia(low white bloods cell count)I have experienced over the last few years with fever and night sweats. He referred me to a hematologist who ordered several blood test as well as a CAT scan to rule out lymphoma. Thankfully, I was given the wonderful news that my CAT scan was clear, and I don't have lymphoma. However, the question remains...why are my white blood cells so low?

I have been told it can be due to infection, cancer or something inhibiting the bone marrow from producing enough white blood cells. The hematologist seems to think it is likely due to infection. So, the quest is on to eliminate infection, and see if this will help. One known infection is lyme disease. The other suspects....my tonsils and gallbladder.

Along with my jaw and teeth issues, I have battled tonsillitis. If they could cut off my head, I would be fine!! About a year ago, Dr.Z warned me that I might need a tonsillectomy. Even though a tonsillectomy isn't a major surgery, I was recovering from two oral surgeries, and I wasn't thrilled about the idea of someone cutting "anything" out of my mouth. I hoped that more treatment would spare my tonsils.

Well, after many rounds of antibiotics and infected tonsils, I finally relented and had a tonsillectomy yesterday. The ENT warned me that the surgery is more painful for adults than for children. I am here to tell you...percocet is my new best friend! Swallowing isn't my favorite thing to do, but a necessary evil. If this entry is not coherent, it's the percocet talking! The other strange discomfort is my tongue. Last night I noticed it was swelling and numb. At first, I was concerned I might be having an allergic reaction to something (Imagine that! 'Me,' having an allergic reaction). I made a midnight phone call to the doc. The doc said they put my tongue in a vice during surgery, and it is not an uncommon reaction for the tongue to swell or be numb. Forget my tonsils; my poor tongue must have taken a beating!

As far as the gallbladder, I had a HIDA scan (a nuclear medicine study that tests the function of the gallbladder), and it showed that my gallbladder is not working very well. My GI Doctor said this can cause a backup of bile and inflammation or infection. My digestion has been pretty pitiful for three years, and I knew I had gallbladder issues, but the HIDA scan made it clear that my gallbladder is one of the likely culprit to my digestive issues. It appears that it needs to be taken out as well! I have an appointment with my surgeon next week to discuss a cholecystectomy as soon as possible.

Maybe I will be new person after getting rid to these spare parts! Dr. Z is ordering biopsies from a special lab to find out what microbes might be living in my tonsils and gallbladder. Infact, I took a special biopsy kit when I had my tonsillectomy, and I brought home one of my tonsils...It is in my frig awaiting a FED EX delivery on Monday! I'll let you know if they find anything!

Happy Valentines Day!
Ronda

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Rhonda.
I just found your blog and I feel like I'm looking into a mirror. Your story is so similar to mine, and it's been a true inspiration to read your story. I won't get into my long, sorted story, but I will send you a link to my blog after I update it. I also have two small children and a husband. Lyme is difficult on it's own, but throwing a family into the mix makes it even harder. I have felt so guilty for not being able to be an alert, fun, active mother like I once was. I do my best to stay energetic.

I have seen improvement over the last couple months. Lyme is funny, it's a horrible disease and a very fickle and complicated one, but I always try to look at the silver lining. Lyme has changed my life. I seem to live better, I'm a better mom, it has slowed me down and taken me out of a "rat-race career", and it has brought me so close to God. Before Lyme, I had been ignoring my faith and any relationship I had with God. He works in marvelous and mysterious ways and I am so glad Lyme has brought me back to Him.

Note: If you are still having night sweats .... I have night sweats and have been treated for Babesia for 3 months. These night sweats continued, so they are now treating me for the co-infection, Bartonella. The sweats have gotten better since I began this treatment, along with a compounded script to help my T3 (T3 - Thyroid) levels. Hope this helps. You've probably already explored Bart, but it all helps.

So glad to have found your story.

Best of health!
God Bless.
Jodi Hendrickson

Anonymous said...

hi rhonda,
i also just found your blog! my daughter, nicole has lyme/bartonella/babesia...she is 17. her blog-www.bitemeback.blogspot.com/ chronicles her journey with lyme. one of her symptoms is a 1 minute short term memory...yeah...really.
i wanted to mention actigall, a script that dr j gives to patiens on some meds. to protect the gall bladder. just my .2 in case it might be useful. i haven't time to read your whole blog, but will do so and pass along your blog to nicole. we live on vancouver island, b.c. canada. best wishes on your journey to health. chris

min bok om borrelia och utbrändhet said...

Hello. I wonder if your problems with infections in your jaw and tooths is from the borreliainfection?? I have read a little of your blog, I am to tire of reading so much just now, Im very ill. I am a girl, 37 years old live in Sweden. I recognize much in your blog and wonder if it is ordinary that borrelia is in the toohts. he most symptoms I have is in the neck, jaw and head. best regards Helena.

Sheila said...

What were the biopsy results? I finally have a dr who believes I have lyme and am on a month of antibiotics to get my immune system working again and so i will produce antibodies. I need a positive CDC for insurance to cover it. My kids all have symptoms and I think They al have it too. One of ths symptoms that they all have are huge tonsils and swollen lymph nodes in their neck. They are scheduled for tonsiectomies and I think I should wait until they are treated to see if they go back to normal, before I have them remove an important part of their immune system.

Pam said...

Hi,

I was just wondering how you are feeling now. Can you give us an update if you are up to it?