Sunday, April 1, 2012

The Gift of God's Presence

April 7, 2008....I was walking out the door to catch a flight to Reno, Nevada for lyme treatment. I quickly skimmed my bookshelf looking for a book to read on the plane. The only requirement....it needed to be small enough to fit into my purse...the smaller the better. In my haste, without much thought, I picked up a small paperback I purchased years earlier and had not read. It was called, Practicing the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence. I heard it was a good book, and I was intrigued by the title. So, maybe it was time to finally read it...not much else to do while on the plane. Why not?

Not only did I read it on the plane, I read it in the quiet, lonely moments of treatment when it was just me and God. The book beautifully described the relationship Brother Lawrence had with God. He was a monk, who lived in the 17th century, in a monastery. He was a cook in the kitchen of the monastery. Even though he worked amongst the hustle and bustle of cooking and serving meals (well...cooking creates lots of hustle and bustle in my house anyway!), his mind and thoughts constantly remained on God and the awareness of His presence. In the book, he talks about enjoying God's love and peace regardless of the circumstances or busyness around him. I was fascinated (and still fascinated)with his constant mental pursuit of God in His thoughts. It is reported that people enjoyed being around him, and he was a man full of peace and love. Wow!

When I came home, out of complete desperation, I "fell" into depending on God to lead me in the moments of my days. I began to realize I was more aware of His presence than I had ever been in my life. Instead of reading a devotional or Bible passage, and setting it aside to "get on with my day." The dialogue and dependence on God continued throughout my day. It started to click...I began to connect the dots, and I wondered..."could this be a small taste of what Brother Lawrence shared with God?" It didn't take valiant effort or duty or service on my part...only quiet cries for help and listening...meeting God in the moments of my life...in my weakness and stillness.

I am definitely not a monk in a monastery!! I would never compare myself to Brother Lawrence, but I think God knew the road I was taking and what He wanted to teach me. I believe He put that "small" book in my hands for a reason. He wanted to make the gift of His presence a reality in my life...not just a theological fact. Slowly, clinging to His presence, and talking with Him moment by moment, became the only way I could navigate during those difficult days. Sometimes I would question myself and pray..."God, I don't know of anyone else who asks you about each step of their day...am I on track?" or "God, how do I stay in communion with you as my life gets busier and not so small?" I wanted to read more.

Fast forward to Sept, 2009...I was at a local Christian Bookstore at the register checking out, and I saw a devotional book called Jesus Calling by Sarah Young. I had not heard of the book. The prompting came, "Buy that devotional book." I thought, "I have sooo many devotional books at home with dust on them...that I don't read. Why would I buy another one to add to the stack? I don't know ANYTHING about this book!" The prompting continued. Finally, I bought the book, and thought..."at least it is on sale!"

I went home and began reading the devotional out of sheer curiosity. I quickly realized it is an incredible devotional book, and the answer to many of my questions about this new way to walk through life. The author talks over and over again about living in God's presence. Keeping our focus on God. It became a daily encouragement to me, and a confirmation of what God was teaching me over and over again. It gave me answers to my many questions about..."How do I enjoy God's presence in the "real world"...outside of my four walls or outside of a monastery?

I still read this devotional book on a regular basis, and this morning, April 1st, as I was contemplating writing about the gift of God's presence in my life, I read this...

Jesus Calling, April 1st...
"I AM CALLING YOU to a life of constant communion with Me. Basic training includes learning to live above your circumstances, even while interacting on that cluttered plane of life. You yearn for a simplified lifestyle, so that your communication with Me can be uninterrupted. But I challenge you to relinquish the fantasy of an uncluttered world. Accept each day just as it comes, and find Me in the midst of it all. Talk with Me about every aspect of your day, including your feelings. Remember that your ultimate goal is not to control or fix everything around you; it is to keep communing with Me. A successful day is one in which you have stayed in touch with Me, even if many things remain undone at the end of the day. Do not let your to-do list (written or mental) become an idol directing your life. Instead, ask My spirit to guide you moment by moment. He will keep you close to Me."
I Thessalonians 5:17; Proverbs 3:6

When I read this devotional today...I just had to smile. I had already planned to blog about the gift of His presence in my life. Then, I read today's devotional. The devotional says it better than I could ever articulate. I read it...my heart was warmed, and I was encouraged to continue "basic training."

2 comments:

trust in Him said...

Dear Rhonda,
Thank you for sharing your journey. In many ways, I felt like I was reading my own story, except that I am not recovered at all and I need help. I live in NC and I was wondering if you would recomend the doctors that have been working with you. I have been extremely sick for 6 years and quite sick for 2 years before that. It hurts to type, so I will just say may God be with you!
-Love, Lisa

Unknown said...

We live in DC area and See someone at Jemsek Speciality clinic. My son is making progress with his lyme disease