Monday, April 16, 2012

The Gift of the Moment

When I began blogging four years ago, I knew nothing about the blogging world. A friend of mine suggested I blog while I was undergoing treatment as a way to let everyone in my life know my progress and how to pray for me. It was to be a temporary tool to efficiently communicate with friends and family. Slowly, it has become much more to me. Now, it is a place where I will give health updates, but I am also compelled to share the ways God has so graciously guided me along this healing road. My prayer is that this blog is a place for others to find encouragement and hope for their lives.

Well, I must admit...I still don't know much about the world of blogging. So, a few days ago, I decided to "explore" a little bit. I began reading the blogs of a few Christian women who were sharing about their families, Easter traditions and how they manage their homes. The pictures of their Easter was beautiful...a picture perfect family. Then, my heat sank...

I thought of the women who were unable to get out of bed on Easter, unable to hide their children's Easter eggs, unable to find the perfect outfits, unable to make the perfect Easter dinner and I cried. I cried because I know how it feels to watch others so effortlessly move through their lives and be unable to do the same.

If you are reading this and struggling because your body is unable to "do" all of the perfect things. Please take heart. God has not forgotten you. He sees you. He knows you. He hears you, and He cares about every tear that falls. You are not alone. He hasn't overlooked you or your family.

It is so easy to compare ourselves to others...to judge the moments of our life. Don't look for the "perfect" moments. Don't judge or compare. Embrace the single, simple beautiful moments and gifts from His hand. Look at what you "have" instead of focusing on what you've "lost." Don't compare...don't look for perfect. Look for the gifts God gives you in every moment...the smile on your child's face, the hugs and kisses,the words of love, being with family regardless of the activity..being together. These are His perfect gifts for you and your family. Embrace your moments with thanksgiving...instead of judgement or regret...and you will begin to see the gifts.

Embracing the moment with thanksgiving allows us to see the gifts...living fully present in the moment allows us to experience the gifts they hold. Don't minimize or begrudge your moments because they aren't like the experiences of yesterday. You have been given today! Embrace "your" life and live in it. You aren't only "half" alive because you are sick. You are fully alive! You have been given the opportunity to live today...in this moment. Live your moments to the fullest, and be FULLY present in them. Experience them; taste them..they matter!

Yes, your moments really matter. You still matter and what you are able to give...YOU...matters greatly to your family. They don't want perfection...they want YOU! Give YOU! If you are able to love...give it...it matters! It makes a huge difference. Your life still has impact and meaning. All of your moments matter. So, embrace them...don't judge or compare them; be fully present in them; know they matter..they are gifts.

2 comments:

Dana Medcalf said...

Rhonda, it was so good to see you last Saturday. Your blogs are wonderful with such great depths of thought and faith. Trials are the biggest source of breaking through the delusion that we are mini gods on earth (so powerful, so competent, so wise etc.). It grieved me to hear the trials you have been through but comforted with what you have learned. I passed your blog onto to someone. I am sure it will be an encouragement to him. I will likely pass it on to others.

Merry said...

A friend told me about your blog. Thanks for sharing about your faith and your journey with Lyme. My husband has been disabled by Lyme for the past 13 years, and I whole-heartedly agree--we have to focus on what we have, not what is lost. May God bless you on your journey. My blog is at www.hopeismyanchor.com if you'd like to stop by!